Friday, February 7, 2014

Playtime

I thought about when I was a kid and what made me happy and I thought about blanket forts. Did you ever make those? Blankets draped over chairs and tables and all? Well I thought I'd do one better and knit them a fort. Knitted arches high over knitted carpets, long knitted hallways between the counter and the couch, the computer table and the breakfast nook. I knitted it green and yellow because red's my favorite color and I wanted to save that yarn for myself. It didn't take me as long as you'd think. I'm pretty fast. I learned it on my own, too, from an online tutorial. So I knit room upon room upon room for them to crawl around and explore, their own little labyrinth to get lost in--there were no entrances, of course. I knitted it shut right behind their tiny round butts and they were giggling and I felt like I could breathe for once. It didn't last long, though. Soon they got hungry or something, and their pink mini-fingers found their way through the holes and started tearing the walls apart. Their hands were grimy because I accidentally knitted the dog food inside and I guess they were playing with it. As they ruined all my hard work I thought about how you don't really have to love everything that comes out of your body, like poop or earwax, and that made me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment